Evaluation of cardiovascular disease and fatty liver disease in type 2 diabetes subjects on ultrasonography


  • Dr. Samir Kathale


Ultrasonographic examination, Type 2 diabetes, fatty liver, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, cardiovascular risk


Background: nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) can raise the risk of cardiovascular disease in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Liver disease deaths can rise up to 22 times in persons with type 2 diabetes mellitus.

Aim: The purpose of this study was to evaluate liver involvement in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus and investigate the relationship between various cardiovascular parameters and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in these individuals.

Methods: 75 individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus and fatty liver alterations on ultrasonography were included in this prospective clinical investigation, and the relationship between these changes and cardiovascular changes was evaluated. 

Results: Based on diabetes duration, ischemia changes on ECG, and the highest incidence of LVDD in subjects with HbA1c of 7.1–8, hypertension is considerably greater in persons with fatty liver compared to subjects without fatty liver, and most subjects with diabetes have had the disease for 5–10 years. A total of 78.66% (n=59) study individuals had hypertension, with 13.33% (n=10) having grade 0 hypertension, 45.33% (n=34) having grade 1 hypertension, and 20% (n=15) having grade 2 hypertension. Grade 0, 1, 2, and 3 hypertension was observed in 10.66% (n = 8), 10.66% (n = 8), and 0 study participants, respectively, in non-fatty liver individuals; a total of 21.33% (n = 16) research subjects had this condition. With p<0.0001, this difference was statistically significant. 

Conclusion: The current study comes to the conclusion that individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus primarily displayed left ventricular diastolic dysfunction on echocardiographic examinations.